Activities and Events in Mayfield
The most commonly used venues for events are the Church, the Church Rooms and the Memorial Hall. Here are their addresses.
St John the Baptist Church
Mayfield Parish (Church) Rooms
- Bell Ringing
- The Bell Ringers ring every Sunday before church. They practice on alternate Thursdays. To join the bell ringers please contact "Bell Captain" Margaret Wimbush - 324083.
- Sunday Club
- Every Sunday, starting at 10.30 am in the Church Rooms. Just turn up or contact Margaret Mansfield, Tel: 01335 343791. All children, from 3 years, welcome for stories, songs, craft and drama. Margaret will collect local children so you don't even have to drop them off.
- Henry Prince C.E. School Nursery / PreSchool
- Our school nursery is open every morning from 8.55 to 11.55 am and is free for children who are three to four years old. There is also free transport from villages like Stanton, Ellastone and Wooton. A teacher and a nursery nurse teach the nursery children. They are Ofsted inspected and the June 2013 report rated Early Years teaching (and the school in all areas) as good, saying "As a Church of England school, it provides a clear moral and social code, which values everyone equally. Pupils’ cultural development is promoted well through the use of additional funding to visit places of interest, such as the local farm." For more details call Henry Prince School on 01335 342613 or see their web site.
- Mayfield Parent and Toddler Group + Wendy Group
- The Wendy Club and Mayfield Parent and Toddler Group have merged. The Wendy Club is named after Wendy Greatrex, who died in 2006. She had two children aged four and two: Oliver and Lucy. Wendy spent much of her time helping to look after children: she ran the Mayfield Parent and Toddler Group, assisted at the Norbury preschool and helped out at Henry Prince School.
The new group is for children aged under four together with their parents and carers. It meets on Tuesdays from 9.30 to 11.30 am. New members very welcome - just turn up.
- Little Hands Music
- Music for the under-fives. Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 9.45 am. M.R.A. pavilion. More details...
- Boogie Babies
- Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 10.30 am and 11.15 am. M.R.A. pavilion. More details...
- 1st Mayfield Scout Group
- Mayfield finally has its own scout groups: Beavers Scouts aged 6-8 years and Cub Scouts aged 8-10 1/2. Both boys and girls welcome. They meet on a Thursday night: 6 pm Beaver Scouts followed by Cub Scouts at 7.30pm. To get involved contact Katy Lewis, Group Scout Leader [email protected].
- Christmas Choir Practice
- Choir practices begin on Monday 13th November, 7.30 – 9 pm in the church rooms. Practising for the lovely Nine Lessons and Carol Service on the Sunday before Christmas. Do come and join us, no experience necessary, just turn up or phone Janet Knox on 346487 for more details.
- Cadenza Ladies Choir
Every Wednesday 8-9.15 pm in the Church Room. Phone 300227 for more details.
A small ladies choir who perform concerts in the summer term and for Christmas to raise money for local charities. Contact Sue Tansey at [email protected]
- U3A Choir
- Fortnightly 2-4 pm in the Church Rooms
- Mayfield Music
- Arrange first rate concerts of both classical and contemporary works, usually four in a year, for the community in and around Mayfield. Their concerts have brought established performers of International repute to Mayfield. Contact [email protected], tel: 01335 342114.
- Heritage Group
- First Monday of the month, 7.30 pm in the Church Room. Contact [email protected].
- Book Group
- First Wednesday in the month, 2 pm in the Church Room. Most books can be obtained via the Book Chat service at Ashbourne Library. Not all choices have met with unanimous approval but we enjoy lively discussions and hearing the views of other members. If you wish to join contact Muriel Byron or Ruth Sands on 01335 344028.
- Writer's Group
- Second Thursday in the month, 7.30 pm in the Church Room.
- Mobile Library
- Every third Wednesday. Mayfield Avenue 1.10-1.25 pm, Upper Mayfield 1.35-1.50 pm, Rose and Crown 2-2.15pm. Upcoming visits: 9, 30 April; 21 May; 11 June; 2, 23 July; 13 August; 3 September.
- Walking Group Meet
- First Tuesday in the month, 9.30 am at the Church Room for village walk.
- Circuit Training
Mondays 6.30 - 7.30 pm. Mayfield Memorial Hall.
Thursdays 6.30. Mayfield Memorial Hall.
- Indoor Bowls
- Tuesdays 10.30 - 12.30 pm. Mayfield Memorial Hall.
- Line Dancing
- Beginners Wednesdays 7 pm, Intermediate 8pm, Classics 9.30 pm. Mayfield Memorial Hall. No need to book. £5 on the door.
- Senior Social Club
- Every other Friday 2 to 4 pm. Mayfield Memorial Hall.
- U3A Current Affairs
- Second Thursday in the month, from just after 10.00 am in the Church Rooms. Discussion begins at 10.30 am. About 15-18 members regularly attend.
- Health and Well Being Group
- Changes charity runs a free and confidential mutual support group which meets on Mondays between 1 and 3 pm in the Church Rooms. If you experience stress, anxiety or low moods just come along. More information 01889 567436
- Mayfield Parish Council
- Meet the first Wednesday of every month at 7 pm in the meeting room of the Mayfield Memorial Hall. Mayfield Memorial Hall Committee
- Meet the first Monday of every month at 7 pm in the meeting room of the Mayfield Memorial Hall.
Monday 27th November
Christmas Carol Choir, Mayfield Church Rooms Practising for the lovely Nine Lessons and Carol Service on the Sunday before Christmas. Do come and join us, no experience necessary, just turn up or phone Janet Knox on 346487 for more details. 7.30 to 9 pm.
Sunday 26th November
Christ the King, Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Morning Prayer.
Friday 1st December
Family Disco, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Free family disco 7.30 pm. Free Entry.
Saturday 2 December
Victorian Christmas Fair, Mayfield Church. Locally made crafts, gifts, preserves, Christmas wreaths and Gluwein in the church, with all the windows beautifully decorated as the Victorians would have done. Refreshments (soup, tea, coffee, cakes, mince pies, hot sausage rolls) are in the Church Rooms. From 11 am to 3 pm.
Saturday 9th December
Country and Western, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Live singer John Doherty, line dancing, only £4 entry, 8 pm.
Tuesday 19th December
Christingle Service, Mayfield Church. Traditional Christingle service with children from Mayfield's Henry Prince School. All welcome. 2.30 pm.
Sunday 17th December
Candlelit Nine Lessons and Carol Service, Mayfield Church. The church is always full for the tradition carol service.
New Years Eve Family Party, Mayfield Memorial Hall.
Add an Event
If you would like us to add a village event, please enter details below
Sunday club members receiving awards
for good attendance.
Add a Group or Activity
If you know of a village group that is not listed here, or would like to expand your group's listing, please let us know. We can also provide groups with their own web page for free!