Activities and Events in Mayfield
The most commonly used venues for events are the Church, the Church Rooms and the Memorial Hall. Here are their addresses.
St John the Baptist Church
Mayfield Parish (Church) Rooms
Saturday 8th December
Christmas Fair , Mayfield Church. See the Church windows beautifully dressed by villages groups, buy gorgeous handmade soaps, lip balms, marmalades, jams, decorations, wreaths, Christmas Cacti and other gifts. Tasty refreshments including sausage rolls, soup and cake will be served in the church rooms. From 10.30 until 2.30 pm. Funds raised will go towards updating the church rooms which are used by many groups in the village.
Sunday 9th December
Advent 2 - Bible Sunday, Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Morning Prayer. Theme: Are we listening to...?
Mayfield Arms is Open, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Darts, dominoes, cards, pool, table football. Family Sunday Session. Children and dogs welcome.
Friday 14th December
Christmas Cabaret , Mayfield Memorial Hall. Concert by Chameleon Choir and the Mayfield U3A Choir in aid of Mayfield Recreation Association at 7.30 pm. Tickets from Mayfield stores or on the door. Adults £8, children £1.
Sunday 16th December
Advent 3, Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Family Worship. Theme: Are we getting Changed?
Thursday 20th December
Christingle Service , Mayfield Church. At 2pm. All welcome
Saturday 22nd Dec
Mayfield Children's Christmas Party, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Trent & Dove Housing are sponsoring a Christmas party for Mayfield children. The event takes place from 10.15 am on Saturday 22nd December and includes a magic show, a party lunch (catering by the Royal Oak) and a present from Father Christmas. The cost, thanks to Trent & Dove's generous donation, is just £3 a child. All children in the village that are 11 or under are welcome. Tickets MUST be bought in advance and are available from Mrs Alz / Betka Coates - 07523 109542. All children should be accompanied by an adult. The Memorial Hall bar is open from 11 am for the adults to buy beverages - including tea and coffee.
Saturday 22nd Dec
Santa's Float, Mayfield. Santa's float is back in Mayfield on the evening of Saturday 22nd December and this year he is raising money for our own Mayfield Recreation Association (MRA). Santa starts his tour at Middle Mayfield at 5 pm and then works his way through the rest of Mayfield. Look out for him and be sure to put some change in the donation buckets his elf and helpers are carrying.
Saturday 22nd Dec
Mayfield Country Music Club, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Just £5 admission with live music from the Mick Denver. Christmas Party! All welcome.
Sunday 23rd December
Carols by Candlelight, Mayfield Church. 6.30 pm Nine lessons and carols. This service is always very popular so get there early.
Special Opening of the Mayfield Arms, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Our volunteer bar team have generously offered to open the bar on Christmas Eve from 12 noon to 6 pm sharp so you can enjoy a seasonal drink and chat with neighbours and friends as well as buying the team a small one to thank them for all their work running the bar as a valuable community service during the year.
Nativity Play, Mayfield Church. The Sunday School Club perform their nativity play at 4 pm.
Midnight Communion, Mayfield Church. ...still the dear Christ enters in
Family Communion, Mayfield Church. Glory to the new-born King
Sunday 30 December
Shared worship, at Alton Church. There is no service at Mayfield but shared worship at Alton, 10.45
New Year's Eve
New Year's Eve Party at Mayfield Memorial Hall. It's Mayfield's favourite family party to see in the New Year with music by Mayfield Mobile Disco. Celebrate the New Year in style with games, optional fancy dress, prizes. Starts at 7.30 pm until 1 am. £8 for adults and £4 for children. For tickets phone Simon on 01335 343229 or pay on the door.
Saturday 5th January
Sunday School Club Trip to the Pantomime, Derby Theatre. The Sunday Club are going on their Christmas outing to see the matinee performance of Hansel and Gretel in Derby. Tickets are free for all regular members of the Sunday Club! They are hiring a minibus so there will be a small charge for transport to and from the theatre. Sunday Club is open to all children aged from 3 to 13. Every Sunday morning during term time they meet in the Church rooms. This term they will be rehearsing the ever-popular nativity play which they perform on Christmas Eve to a packed congregation. New members always welcome, either ring Margaret Mansfield on 01335 343791 or just go along at 10.30 am on a Sunday.
Sunday 6th January
The Epiphany , Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Holy Communion.
Sunday 13th January
Epiphany 1 , Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Morning Prayer.
Wednesday 16th January
Senior Citzens' lunch with the children of The Henry Prince School.
The children of The Henry Prince School would like to invite Mayfield's senior citizens to join them for a special lunch on Wednesday 16 January 2019. They will be having a roast dinner and pudding at a cost of only £2.52 per meal. Anyone wishing to join them just needs to book with the school office by Thursday 10 January 2019. Ring 01335 342613 to confirm your place, or call in at the office. The children and staff look forward to welcoming you into school on this special lunch day. Please arrive for lunch at 12 noon.
Sunday 20th January
Epiphany 2 , Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Family Worship.
Saturday 26th January
Mayfield Country Music Club, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Live music from Pete Jones, £5.
Sunday 27th January
Epiphany 3 , Mayfield Church. 10.45 am Morning Prayer.
Thursday 31st January, Friday 1st February and Saturday 2nd February to
Pantomime!, Mayfield Memorial Hall. Red Riding Hood and the Three Little Pigs. Tickets £9/£6 from Memorial Hall and Natural Choice. Also online at peaklandplayers.co.uk
Add an Event
If you would like us to add a village event, please enter details below
- Bell Ringing
- The Bell Ringers ring every Sunday before church. They practice on alternate Thursdays. To join the bell ringers please contact "Bell Captain" Margaret Wimbush - 324083.
- Sunday Club
- Every Sunday, starting at 10.30 am in the Church Rooms. Just turn up or contact Margaret Mansfield, Tel: 01335 343791. All children, from 3 years, welcome for stories, songs, craft and drama. Margaret will collect local children so you don't even have to drop them off.
- Henry Prince C.E. School Nursery / PreSchool
- Our school nursery is open every day and is free for children who are three to four years old. There is also free transport from villages like Stanton, Ellastone and Wooton. A teacher and a nursery nurse teach the nursery children. They are Ofsted inspected and the October 2017 report rated Early Years teaching (and the school in all areas) as good, saying "As a Church of England school, it provides a clear moral and social code, which values everyone equally. Pupils' cultural development is promoted well through the use of additional funding to visit places of interest, such as the local farm." For more details call Henry Prince School on 01335 342613 or see their web site.
- Mayfield Wendy Club
- The Wendy Club and Mayfield Parent and Toddler Group have merged. The Mayfield Wendy Club is named after Wendy Greatrex, who died in 2006. She had two children aged four and two: Oliver and Lucy. Wendy spent much of her time helping to look after children: she ran the Mayfield Parent and Toddler Group, assisted at the Norbury preschool and helped out at Henry Prince School.
The new group is for children aged under four together with their parents and carers. It meets on Tuesdays from 9.30 to 11.30 am. New members very welcome - just turn up or see the Henry Prince web site for more information.
- Little Hands Music
- Fun and learning through music for the under-fives and their parents or carers. Tuesday afternoons, M.R.A. pavilion. More details...
- Boogie Babies
- Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 10.30 am and 11.15 am. M.R.A. pavilion. More details...
- 1st Mayfield Scout Group
- Mayfield finally has its own scout groups: Beavers Scouts aged 6-8 years and Cub Scouts aged 8-10 1/2. Both boys and girls welcome. They meet on a Thursday night: 6 pm Beaver Scouts followed by Cub Scouts at 7.30pm. To get involved contact Katy Lewis, Group Scout Leader [email protected].
- Cadenza Ladies Choir
Every Wednesday 8-9.15 pm in the Church Room. Phone 300227 for more details.
A small ladies choir who perform concerts in the summer term and for Christmas to raise money for local charities. Contact Sue Tansey at [email protected]
- U3A Choir
- Fortnightly 2-4 pm in the Church Rooms
- Mayfield Music
- Arrange first rate concerts of both classical and contemporary works, usually four in a year, for the community in and around Mayfield. Their concerts have brought established performers of International repute to Mayfield. Contact [email protected], tel: 01335 342114.
- Heritage Group
- First Monday of the month, 7.30 pm in the Church Room. Contact [email protected].
- Book Group
- First Wednesday in the month, 2 pm in the Church Room. Most books can be obtained via the Book Chat service at Ashbourne Library. Not all choices have met with unanimous approval but we enjoy lively discussions and hearing the views of other members. If you wish to join contact Muriel Byron or Ruth Sands on 01335 344028.
- Writer's Group
- Second Thursday in the month, 7.30 pm in the Church Room.
- Mobile Library
- Every third Wednesday. Mayfield Avenue 1.10-1.25 pm, Upper Mayfield 1.35-1.50 pm, Rose and Crown 2-2.15pm.
- Walking Group Meet
- First Tuesday in the month, 9.30 am at the Church Room for village walk.
- Indoor Bowls
- Tuesdays 10.30 - 12.30 pm. Mayfield Memorial Hall.
- Wednesday evenings at the Memorial Hall.
- Monday and Tuesday evenings at the Memorial Hall.
- Go-Rin: Knee High Samurai, Junior and Adult warriors.
- Saturday mornings at the Memorial Hall. https://www.facebook.com/kneehighsamurai/
- Senior Social Club
- Every other Friday 2 to 4 pm. Mayfield Memorial Hall.
- U3A Current Affairs
- Second Thursday in the month, from just after 10.00 am in the Church Rooms. Discussion begins at 10.30 am. About 15-18 members regularly attend.
- Health and Well Being Group
- Changes charity runs a free and confidential mutual support group which meets on Mondays between 1 and 3 pm in the Church Rooms. If you experience stress, anxiety or low moods just come along. More information 01889 567436
- Mayfield Parish Council
- Meet the first Wednesday of every month at 7 pm in MRA Pavillion.
- Mayfield Memorial Hall Committee
- Meet the first Monday of every month at 7 pm in the meeting room of the Mayfield Memorial Hall.
Sunday club members receiving awards
for good attendance.
Add a Group or Activity
If you know of a village group that is not listed here, or would like to expand your group's listing, please let us know. We can also provide groups with their own web page for free!